Columns

Recent Posts

Saturday, September 29, 2012

And then I realized...



That you won't be a baby much longer. 

Little blue knit hats will become much too small and we will pack them away like we do. Your pudgy  nose and lips and cheeks and forehead will smooth out and firm up to resemble a young man. And you just might stop flashing me that smile that says, "Mama, you're the best thing in the whole world," and start pushing my kisses away. 

I love you as a baby. The way you go to snarf your hand or dive bomb my shoulder with your mouth wide open when I say, "Mama's going to eat you!" When your lips fall slightly open when you fall asleep with your bottle. Your squeaks and sharp inhales and screeches and shaking fists when you hear the bath tub filling up. And I'm going to miss all of this as you grow. 

But I know I'll love you as a little boy, as well. And as a teenager and as a grown man. I can't wait to talk with you and help you with homework. I can't wait to see all the things your daddy can't wait to teach you. 

And I'm going to kiss you, baby. You won't ever out grow those smooches. I'm going to give you mama kisses as long as I'm on this earth. And there's nothing you can do about it. So you might as well get used to them now.

xoxo, 
mama

0 comments:

Post a Comment