Columns

Recent Posts

Monday, December 3, 2012

Her wishes for her family


I've been writing a column for my hometown newspaper, The Tri-County News, for a few years now. I took time off after having Jack and am just getting back to it. I grew up in Gackle, a town of 500 people. Everyone knows who I am, who my family is, who my grandparents are. It's a strange blessing to be able to share the deepest parts of my heart with all of them. These writings are some of my favorite ones of mine. From now on, I'll be sharing them on my blog after they have been published in the paper. I have a few backlogged that I would like to share, so there will be a few postings now, and then they will be approximately ever two weeks. Please enjoy.

[October 5, 2012]

Our family just came back from about three weeks in Gackle. God's country, yes. 

Scott's two weeks off of work in October always equals some quality time between him and his pheasant dog. And this year, it also meant farm time for our son, Jack, and I. It's good for the soul to go back to the place where you grew up. And it was good for me to use grandma for as much free babysitting as I could squeeze out of her. 

Jack played with the kitties, met the horses, played in his first snow and became reacquainted with aunts and uncles and cousins that we don't get to see everyday. And great grandma Betty, whom he has always seemed to love a little more than the others. She's got the touch. 

The Anderson family buried a time capsule on our farm in 1993 at a North Dakota BASH (Big Anderson Summer Holiday.) It was supposed to remain in the ground until November of next year, but we decided to dig it up a year early. 

It was snowing, but my uncles dug, we watched, the kids sat in the wheel barrel.

We hit something. I found a corner. Dig back a little further. It was pulled out of a 19 year slumber. 
Turns out the Rubbermaid Roughneck tub is a sturdy product. No gopher holes, no tree root punctures. Just a little squishage from the burden of dirt. 

The top was opened and inside was the actual time capsule, wrapped in plastic. But what was inside took the back burner for me to what was on the inside cover. 

My grandma had typed a note for the future generations. My uncle Carlton read it for us:
"This capsule was buried in the fall of 1993 and is to be dug-up in the year 2013. The Anderson capsule contains precious memories of the Jalmer Anderson family. It is my wish and prayer that when the family gathers to open this capsule that all of you will be trusting and living for the Lord as your Savior." 

As he read that, I first thought that the ending would simply say that she hoped we would be living. All being present for the opening, fortunate to still be around. 

But she wished for us, her family, to simply and essentially be trusting the Lord. 

When we are in situations where we think of the future, say a wedding or a graduation, we usually go straight for earthly wishes. I hope your marriage is blessed. I wish you all the happiness in the world. I hope you are successful in your endeavors.

She wished for us to be trusting the Lord. Nothing more, nothing less. 

It's a legacy for our family. We won't inherit money or land or castles far away. As my great grandparents handed to my grandparents who then instilled in our parents, they gave us every chance to have the opportunity to gain a heavenly inheritance. As my cousin said, "I am so thankful for a faithful, godly heritage."

We are here on borrowed time. This is our temporary home.

And so what will I leave for those who come after me? Where will my treasure be stored? How am I forming my legacy from day to day? It's a conscious decision. The road is narrow and difficult. And no one gets it all right. But our Lord is a merciful God. 

Lord, you alone are my inheritance, my cup of blessing. Psalm 16:5a

0 comments:

Post a Comment