Columns

Recent Posts

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Frogs and snails and puppy dog tails

Well, we finaly found out on Monday that Baby K is a BOY!!!

Scott was able to come with to this doctor's appointment (I'd warned him early on that he MUST take the days off!) and it was so fun to be in that dim room with him. We were both pretty giddy.

The whole time I had had "girl" in my head. I won't lie, deep down I wanted a girl because I have so many girly, fun ideas and I love manicures and getting my hair done and sparkly things. But Scott had told me on the way in that it was a boy, it just was and he already knew it, he said.

We are at the age where a lot of our friends are engaged or married, or have been together for a longgg time, and are now onto babies. And almost all of them are having or had girls. So as time drew closer to our ultrasound, I had an inkling that baby would be boy.

The ultrasound lady was obviously a pro, pointing out heart valves and kidneys and checking out the brain. The little monkey was moving all around, she said she had to be on her toes for this one. While she was looking at the head and face, she kept saying how the baby was very smiley - you could actually see the nose and lips formed into this perfect little smile. It could have melted your heart.

She paused the screen at one point and, as we looked at an upward view of very visible little baby butt cheeks and spread-wide-open legs, she said, "Do you see those there? Those are boy parts." Scott just looked at me with his devious little grin and said "I told you. I knew it."

I didn't realize how impactful finding out the gender of our child would be. I thought that finding out would be just... finding out, and maybe that would have been the case if we had been having a girl, since I had that image in my mind already. But it didn't hit me until a few days later that I was going to be a mom to a little boy, that I was going to have to learn what little boys were made of and how to raise them. My whole family is girls - I was around my two girl cousins a lot when they were little and I learned about babies from them. I've, really, never been around baby boys. My sister is very excited to be having a nephew, but also had thought she would get a niece. My nervousness can be summed up with this statement Lindsay made: "They have penises!"

But now I've known for about two days and I am getting myself in baby boy mode - changing nursery plans and thinking of boy names. Scott asked already if the baby needs a BB gun and said now we can get mini snowmobiles and four-wheelers and such. Our baby boy will be a man's man, just like his daddy. (Check this out: mans-man.com. If that doesn't describe my husband, I don't know what does.)

But knowing that the little thing inside me is a boy, makes me realize that the little kicks and jabs are the first antics of a playful, rambunctious boy. And I hope he has his daddy's dimples when he arrives, and baby calf eyelashes and puppy dog blue eyes like the hansome man I married. And I hope he loves playing in the dirt and making mama's house a muddy mess and gets his good jeans all dirty like his dad does.


I stopped into a local bookstore and saw this book "The Dangerous Book for Boys" at the end of an aisle. It's this comprehensive little "boy encyclipedia" of everything boys should know: The 7 Wonders of the World, coin tricks, instructions to make the best paper airplane. Definitely putting this on my "to get list."

I'm excited to learn about frogs and snails and puppy dog tails and what being a mama to a little boy means.

We already think you're pretty great, baby boy.

XOXO,
-Mama

4 comments:

Kate said...

Awww, congrats on your little baby boy!!!
Thats so funny that you felt it was a girl this whole time because I just found out we're having a girl, but the WHOLE TIME I thought it was a boy. I'm also adjusting all my nursery decor ideas etc. It took some getting used to that I was having a girl and its so cool to finally know wether its a she or a he causing all that rukus in there.

Sara said...

Oh how exciting Erica!! He will be absolutely precious!! And you will get used to having a little boy quicker than you think!! I'm like you I have grown up around all girls all of the time...and now I have two girls...sometimes I wonder what it would be like to have a little man...would be fun!! But all my husband and I ever really cared about is that the baby was healthy...and trust me when you get there, you will too!

Anonymous said...

Yay! So excited. I was definitely having images of you & yours with a baby boy!

I totally thought I was having a boy. I just knew it... and RJ felt the same way. We were totally floored when we saw that Baby S is a GIRL! I actually didn't have a hard time adjusting from boy to girl. I was just so shocked because I really believed she was a boy!

Anyway, I am so happy for you. I think boys are super cute and they love their mommies!!

Linda said...

Roger wanted a boy first and I wanted a girl. Mainly because I grew up with all brothers and mostly male cousins. You learn to change their diapers fast or at least have something to cover them up because they will spray anything and everything at least once or twice. I can tell you stories on that subject.

We are now into the go-carts and mini-bikes. It all started with a child size gator that daddy just had to improve on so that it would go faster and the tires would grip better.

If it wasn't for my hairdresser, I would probably be even more gray.

The bond between a mom and son is priceless. I don't look forward to the day I have to let another woman be the center of my son's life. I just pray that he picks a Godly woman and we can get along.

Congratulations on having a boy. You can always keep trying for pink!

Post a Comment