Columns

Recent Posts

Monday, March 12, 2012

One year of us

Today is Scott and my very first anniversary! So, yeah, this post might become a little mushy. Hey, what can I say? I think the guy is pretty great. 

Our first first anniversary card - from my uncle Jim and Sandra. 

For those of you not from North Dakota, we've had a crazy warm winter. The past two days have been 65+ degrees and today doesn't seem to be looking any different. WELL, last year at this time I was getting my hair did with my bridesmaids and a storm was a brewin'. (We decided to be married in Park Rapids, Minn., where my grandparents live because Scott is from Wisconsin and I from NoDak.)

Well, they closed the interstate from the middle of N.D. that runs into Minnesota - the road most of my relatives needed to take to come. So, luckily our photographer was able to make it, but others, like my aunts and cousins and grandma and brother, couldn't make it through. It was sad, but what could you do? Our wedding ended up being a little smaller, but still one of the best days of my life. 

The day was a little jumbled with some last minute plan changes, but overall it went well. (If you asked Scott, he had to do a little too much waiting for his taste. But he got over it.)




The ceremony was short, quick and to the point. His uncle was the pastor and had this great anecdote that ended in him playfully slapping Scott in the face :) Very memorable, Ron. Thanks for that!

I never had cold feet or anything like that. I have never been more sure of anything in my life than having this man for my husband. But seconds before my uncle was due to walk me down the isle, I had a little breakdown that my dad couldn't be the one giving me away. But it was time and I had to procede. 

I almost forgot to put my vintage yellow heels on, so I quickly kicked off my sandals and had my attendant crawl under my dress to "shoe" me :) Only after the ceremony did I realize I also forgot my bouquet. 

My eyes were on him the whole time I was walking down. I could have started running. The nervousness subsided and there I was, walking down to a whole new life, as a whole new person to this wonderful man. 

I don't remember much of saying the vows, or anything else for that matter. It went quickly and surreally. And then it was time to kiss and he came toward me, attempted to lift my little bird cage of a veil (I tried to tell him no, that my lips weren't covered, but he wanted a veil to lift. So he did.) He dipped me and kissed me perfectly. (Yes, we had practiced on the proper kiss for the occasion :) 




And then there we were, walking down the aisle again as a married couple. And I couldn't have been more giddy. 

The rest of the day went by fast, with food, drinks and dancing. We throw a good party, if I do say so myself :) Even with the storm, those that came early were the ones that we really wanted there. 

Scott was so, incredibly attentive to me the whole evening. The sweetest he's ever been. The most loving he could be. (He even put on some lovely 40's music on the way to the reception for me:) And he did what he set out to do - make that day wonderful for me. 




So, here is to a year filled with a whole bunch of "new" and "first" adventures. From new jobs to quitting a job, to a lifestyle of driving back and forth, to new vehicles and first pregnancies, new furniture and joint bank accounts.

I am ever-amazed at the amount of love I have for this man. And the incredibly heavy love I feel back from him. He is a great leader of our home. Smart and dignified. My husband.

Happy anniversary, huney. I truly am the wife of a good man.
xoxo,
-e 


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS!! :)

Kate said...

Happy 1 year to you guys! Enjoy your special day.

Post a Comment